The INGENIOUS 1st FSX and the 1st International Workshop on “Tools for the First Responder of the Future” were a success!
The INGENIOUS 1st International Workshop on “Tools for the First Responder of the Future” and the 1st Full Scale Exercise (1st FSX) took place in Villejust, France, on Tuesday 24 and Wednesday 25 May 2022. Prominent speakers from industry and First Responder Agencies, both internal and external of the INGENIOUS consortium, as well as key experts from other European projects presented the latest technologies developed for the First Responder of the Future. In addition, interesting demonstrations of advanced technologies for the First Responders took place.
The INGENIOUS 1st International Workshop on the “Tools for the First Responder of the Future”
The Workshop, which was held in a hybrid mode, opened its gates with a brief and warm welcome from the Mayor of Villejust, Mr Igor Trickovski. During the Workshop, participants discussed how evolving technologies can enhance emergency responses, improving and ensuring the safety of first responders. The INGENIOUS technical partners demonstrated through intriguing presentations the various smart sensors, systems and Augmented Reality technologies of which the INGENIOUS Next Generation Integrated Toolkit (NGIT) is composed. The end users of the project highlighted the importance of having access to the appropriate technologies so that they can work safely and effectively in the field and presented interesting results produced during the Integration Testing and Validation activities of the project.
The DRS02 cluster projects funded by the EC under the same topic “Technologies for the First Responder of the Future” were also invited and presented a series of advanced technologies developed for both the First Responder and the accompanying K9 Units. The 13 projects provided interesting insights and shared best practices and experiences they gained in the development process and testing activities. The participating projects were: ASSISTANCE, CURSOR, FASTER, INTREPID, PathoCERT, RESPOND-A, ResponDrone, Search and Rescue, RESCUER, SIXTHSENSE, MED1stMR, TeamAware, NIGHTINGALE.
The INGENIOUS 1st Full Scale Exercise
The 1st Full Scale Exercise (FSX) of our project demonstrated how the various tools and components of the INGENIOUS Next Generation Integrated Toolkit (NGIT) are integrated and used in combination to achieve an effective emergency response in a real scenario environment. The 2nd Prototype of the NGIT was tested in a large earthquake scenario near shore with cascading effects, e.g. destroyed/collapsed buildings, comms failure etc. New knowledge was created to enhance the development of the 3rd Prototype of the NGIT which will be the final solution of the project.
The 1st FSX and the 1st International Workshop were hosted by our partner APHP-SAMU at their training facilities in Villejust near Paris, supporting the exercise sessions with their first response teams and standard equipment they are using.
All the presentations given during the Workshop are available below.
- Welcome – Introduction and INGENIOUS Outline: The Next Generation Integrated Toolkit (NGIT) for the FR of the Future, ICCS
- Emergency and Disaster Operations in France, APHP-SAMU
- WP2 “Smart” First Responders: INGENIOUS Tools & Services to protect them and enhance their operational tasks, TEK
- WP3 INGENIOUS “Smart” Devices in the air and on the ground, ITC
- WP4 INGENIOUS Information Management, Augmenting the Common Operational Picture & First Responders’ Apps, EXUS
- Insights from the INGENIOUS First Responders, SBFF
- Survey on the INGENIOUS Technologies for First Responders, STWS
Insights from DRS02 Cluster projects + Open Discussion (60’)
- ASSISTANCE – Mateusz Sosnowski, SBFF, Sweden
- CURSOR – Tiina Ristmaee, THW,Germany
- FASTER – Anastasios Dimou, CERTH, Greece
- INTREPID – Rozenn Marechal, CS GROUP, France
- PathoCERT – Demetris Eliades, KIOS, Cyprus
- RESPOND-A – Dr. Cleo Varianou Mikellidou, CERIDES, Cyprus
- ResponDrone – Richard Van Oorschot, Alpha Unmanned Systems, Spain
- Search and Rescue – Christos Angelidis, Konnektable Technologies, Ireland
- RESCUER – Dr. Charalampos Patrikakis, University of West Attica, Greece
- SIXTHSENSE – Milos Kostic, TECNALIA, Serbia
- MED1stMR – Helmut Schrom-Feiertag, AIT Austrian Institute of Technology GmbH, Austria
- TeamAware – Çağlar Akman, HAVELSAN, Turkey
- NIGHTINGALE – Eleftherios Ouzounoglou, ICCS, Greece
The event has been recorded and can be accessed here.